"This tree, named the ""Chase sequoia"", stands at the end of a driveway at 274 South Garden Way, a house built by Frank B. Chase in 1889. The driveway was originally a road leading to an apple orchard owned and managed by Mr. Chase, one of Eugene’s pioneering growers. Mr. Chase planted the sequoia sometime in the few years after the house was built.
In addition to fruit trees, Frank Chase grew vegetables which he at one time sold door-to-door in a “peddle cart,” a technique used by several early Eugene farmers. He was innovative, being credited as the first to use irrigation in the upper Willamette Valley and incorporating greenhouses in agricultural production by 1905. Fifty years after its humble beginnings, Chase Gardens was distributing produce and flowers nationwide and at various times was noted for its roses, gardenias and orchids, grown in more than ten acres of greenhouses.
This tree is one of the first planted in the area.
The Chase property includes other old and interesting trees hidden from public view, including what is perhaps the largest American elm in Eugene."The girth of the tree is 8.38 m measured at a height of 1.40 m (2008, Eugene Tree Foundation). Its height is around 42.37 m (2008, measurement method unknown, Eugene Tree Foundation).